Some countries can only receive plasmids in the form of DNA on filter paper or in a tube.
DNA on filter paper
If you are receiving plasmids in this format, Addgene provides you with two spots of DNA for each plasmid. The paper can be stored at 4°C.
To recover your plasmid:
- To recover the plasmid, use a clean razor blade to cut out one of the circles containing your DNA.
- Immerse the circle in 30µL of TE and pipette to mix.
- After waiting for at least 10 minutes, use 2µL to transform competent bacteria.
DNA suspension in tubes
If you are receiving plasmids in this format, Addgene provides you with 10-50 ng of DNA for each plasmid. The tube can be stored at 4°C.
Your plasmid has to be amplified before use. To amplify:
- Use 2µL to transform into bacteria. Read our bacterial transformation page for more details on performing transformations.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for transformations into your choice of competent cells.
- Plate on an appropriate antibiotic agar plate and grow overnight.