Some countries can only receive plasmids in the form of DNA on filter paper or in a tube.
DNA on filter paper
If you are receiving plasmids in this format, Addgene provides you with two spots of DNA for each plasmid. The paper can be stored at 4°C.
To recover your plasmid:
- To recover the plasmid, use a clean razor blade to cut out one of the circles containing your DNA.
- Immerse the circle in 30µL of TE and pipette to mix.
- After waiting for at least 10 minutes, use 2µL to transform competent bacteria.
DNA suspension in tubes
If you are receiving plasmids in this format, Addgene provides you with 10µL of DNA at 10-50ng/µL for each plasmid. The tube can be stored at 4°C.
Your plasmid has to be amplified before use. To amplify:
- Use 2µL to transform into bacteria. Read our bacterial transformation page for more details on performing transformations.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for transformations into your choice of competent cells.
- Plate on an appropriate antibiotic agar plate and grow overnight.